Parents are and will always be a crucial part of human existence but it is no secret that mothers hold a special place in our hearts, which is why they deserve to be celebrated in grand style. If you want to show your appreciation to the woman that gave you life then you need to check out these 30 best surprise birthday ideas for mom at home.
Whether you are in quarantine or trying to follow COVID-19 safety protocols, this doesn’t stop you from celebrating your mom’s birthday. Perhaps your account balance is in the red or you want something special yet affordable then these surprise birthday ideas for mom at home are for you.
This article is broken down into five unique categories to help you find cute things to make for mom’s birthday, what to do for your mom’s birthday in lockdown, and more. These heartfelt ideas will surely make your mom happy no matter her age. Without further ado, let us get started on the best surprise birthday ideas for mom at home.
How to Surprise Your Mom on Her Birthday
When it comes to birthday surprises at home, it is easy to get confused about what to do and how to do it. Well, if you have been worried about what to do for your mom, here are six affordable ways on how to surprise your mom on her birthday.
1. Royal Treatment: The first step on how to surprise your mom on her birthday is by giving her the royal treatment. This means that you behave towards your mom as you would towards the Queen of England, treat her like royalty.
Start the morning with breakfast in bed consisting of all your mom’s favorite treats then get a warm, relaxing bath ready. You can add Epsom salt to the water or make a bubble bath with her favorite bath bombs. Increase the soothing effects of the bath by adding scented candles or essential oils like lavender.
Keep this royal treatment throughout the whole day by ensuring your mom barely lifts a finger and you do everything for her. This is a simple yet affordable way to make your mom feel special on her birthday.
2. Give her a shout-out: One of the sweetest surprise birthday ideas for mom at home is to give her a special shout-out. You can get a radio station to give your mother a birthday shout-out and play her favorite song or you can get a local artist to sing her a birthday song and if you can not afford a local artist then get a friend with good vocals to do it.
A radio shout-out is unique, so if your mother has a favorite radio station, call in and request a birthday shout-out but if she doesn’t then pick a cool radio station that accepts such requests. Make sure your mom turns on the radio by giving a reasonable excuse like a special announcement.
3. Get the whole family to participate: Another great way on how to surprise your mom on her birthday is to get the entire family to participate. With many people in quarantine and safety precautions preventing social gatherings, you can make a zoom call with your family members — your siblings, uncles, aunts, or grandparents.
Whoever your mom is close to should be involved including her friends. If you cannot make a zoom call then get each person to do a short clip wishing your mother a happy birthday or talking about what they love about her.
Then you can compile all the videos into one amazing tape for your mom’s birthday. This is one of the best surprise birthday ideas for mom at home and she will surely appreciate the sweet gesture of love.
4. Indoor picnic: If you have been wondering what to do for your mom’s birthday in lockdown then an indoor picnic is a great idea. You can decide to support your local restaurants and order your mom’s favorite dishes or you can go old-school and make a home-cooked meal.
Since it is a special occasion, you can decorate your backyard or living area with balloons, glitters, and handmade or store-bought paperwork. Get a comfortable mat or blanket for your picnic on the lawn or design your picnic table. You can purchase drinks or make lemonades and smoothies at home.
5. Fun and games: Another easy mother birthday celebration idea is to enjoy a day full of fun and games. Bring out your mother’s competition side with her favorite games or introduce her to new ones. You can make this more interesting by setting a theme such as – Pirates of the Caribbean.
Make it a treasure hunting event filled with puzzles, riddles, and costumes. You can either purchase or rent pirate costumes from the store or make DIY costumes. Whatever game you choose, ensure it is something your mom will love and the final treasure can be her birthday cake or gift.
Please wait a minute! Apart from constantly publishing meaningful content here as the owner of this blog, I am also a fast-rising artiste who need your support by simply subscribing to my YouTube channel. Thank you so much.
6. Bring Hollywood home: The last but not the least way on how to surprise your mom on her birthday is to make an indoor cinema. Make a playlist of all her favorite movies, get the popcorn, soda, cookies, or treats she enjoys and have a movie marathon.
Birthday Surprise Ideas for Mom
Looking for more easy and affordable surprise birthday ideas for mom at home that will make your mother feel loved and appreciated? Then check out these six fun birthday surprise ideas for mom.
7. Get your neighborhood involved: Human connection has never been more important with coronavirus keeping people apart. If you have never been close to your neighbors then this a good way to bond and make your mother feel special.
Get a memo across to your neighbors, letting them know that your mom’s birthday is approaching and you would love their help in making it a joyous occasion. They can either sing happy birthday or make cards for your mom, even getting them to stand outside their homes to wave is good enough.
On your mom’s birthday, make her take a stroll around the neighborhood and have the neighbors give their well-wishes. This is an amazing birthday surprise that will leave your mom feeling on top of the world.
8. Be creative: One of the best birthday surprise ideas for mom is to make it feel like a birthday with creative decorations. Let your mother wake up to her living room or even the whole house decorated with balloons, confetti, glitter, and flowers. Find ways to creatively arrange them like using the balloons to form a pattern or your mom’s age.
9. Give her a heartwarming tribute: One of the sweetest surprise birthday ideas for mom at home is to give her a heartwarming tribute. It can be in the form of a video montage of all your favorite memories together or a PowerPoint presentation about your mom from her childhood to date or simply a message expressing your love for her.
10. Have a virtual party: Another great mother birthday celebration idea is a virtual party. If you are unable to physically meet up with your mom for her birthday then you can still make it special with a virtual birthday party.
Get your siblings involved and your mom’s friends. Set up a Zoom or Google Meet call and get everyone to dress up for the party. You can have a karaoke session, play games, or take turns to tell your mom what an amazing woman she is.
11. Give her a spa day: When you think about what to do for your mom’s birthday in lockdown a well-deserved spa session is a great idea. You can either do this by yourself or get a professional to do a home visit, depending on what you can afford. Both gestures will make your mom happy so do not go beyond your limits.
12. Change her style: The last thing on the list of birthday surprise ideas for mom is to change her style. You can achieve this by either giving your mom a new haircut or adding highlights to her hair or by getting her a beautiful dress to wear for her big day complete with accessories.
Wake your mom up to a day of pampering and if you cannot do this by yourself then get a friend or family member who is good at giving haircuts and using makeup or you can get a professional from a local salon.
Simple Birthday Party Ideas for Mom
Birthdays come only once a year, which is why you need to make them count especially when it is the birthday of a woman close to your heart. Whether you are in lockdown or searching for affordable options, then these simple birthday party ideas for mom are just what you need to make your mother’s birthday an unforgettable experience.
13. Have a birthday parade: The first method on the list of simple birthday party ideas for mom is hosting a birthday parade. While everyone is trying to stay safe and avoid contact as much as possible, a birthday parade is one of the best ways to celebrate while maintaining social distance.
Get your family members and mom’s friends to participate and drive down to your mother’s house. Their cars should be decorated and they should be dressed in party hats. Each car will stop outside your mom’s house with a birthday card or gift then move on for the next car to do the same.
14. Have a reverse birthday parade: Instead of getting your mom’s friends and family members to drive down to your mom’s place, get your mom dressed up and drive down to her friends and family homes.
This is one of the best mother birthday celebration ideas and it works better when you let your mom’s friends and family members know that you will be driving through their neighborhood, so they can get their gifts and cards ready. Remember it is a surprise, so do not let your mom know.
15. Plan a full meal set: One of the best surprise birthday ideas for mom at home is to plan a full meal set to be delivered to her. Get your siblings, family members, and mom’s friends involved. Discuss and share the meal plans based on what each of you can afford, a set of people will order breakfast while another will order lunch, and the last set will pay for dinner.
Ensure you get the restaurant or delivery service to attach birthday messages from each group alongside the meals. This simple gesture will make your mom feel loved especially if she is in quarantine.
16. Have some barbecue: One of the best simple birthday party ideas for mom is to host an outdoor barbecue. If you do not have a grill then you can get one from your friends or rent it. If that is also not possible then you can learn how to make barbecues without using a grill online.
Spend quality time with your mom cooking some delicious meat and your neighbors, family, and mom’s friends can drive by to receive their share of the food and drop gifts while maintaining a safe distance.
17. Outdoor activities: If you’re worried about where to throw a surprise party, the best answer is outdoors. Pick a nearby park for your mom’s birthday celebration, as most people are staying indoors, you can enjoy a private event.
You can engage in fun outdoor activities or enjoy a relaxing picnic or even plan a tea party for your mom and her friends. You can also turn it into a family event by inviting your mom’s relatives and siblings over for lunch.
18. Drive-In Theater: The last method on the list of simple birthday party ideas for mom is to visit your local drive-in theater. This is one of the best ways to practice social distancing as well as a great way to celebrate your mom’s birthday.
Invite your mom’s friends and relatives to join the event by driving down to the theater and if this event is not affordable for you then make your own outdoor movie.
You can do this at a park or outside your mom’s house with the projector by the garage or on the wall of the house. Projectors are available at affordable rent prices, so you can find numerous options online.
Best Surprise Gift for Mother On Her Birthday
Mothers are not only our nurturers but also our biggest fans, our mentors, and sometimes our best friends. This is why they deserve to be celebrated on their birthdays and no celebration is complete without a heartfelt present.
If you are still wondering what to get your mom, then you need to check out this list of the best surprise gift for mother on her birthday.
19. Make a mom report card: The first thing on the list of the best surprise gift for mother on her birthday is to make a mom report card. This is a fun way to show your affection and appreciation for everything your mother has done for you.
Just as the name implies, customize a report card consisting of the things your mom does best with her grades. Give her all A’s for cooking, cleaning, being supportive, and more.
20. Handmade birthday cards: When you think about cute things to make for mom’s birthday, a handmade card is both cute and affectionate. Design your card with glitters or whatever you choose as what matters are the thought and effort you put into it.
Also, ensure that the content of the card expresses the love you have for your mother, do not simply copy words online but think deeply about what you wish to write. Handmade cards will surely make your mother happy.
21. Customized gifts: Another best surprise gift for mother on her birthday is to get her customized gifts. From mugs to kitchen utensils, pillows, aprons, or bracelets, whatever object you desire just put your mother’s name on it or a birthday message.
You can find where to customize your gifts online or simply do it yourself by stitching the message onto the pillows or making a beaded bracelet or necklace with alphabet beads.
22. Flowers: No matter how cliché it seems, giving a bouquet as a gift will never go out of fashion. Get your mom her favorite flowers for her birthday or get your local flower shop to design a special wreath in honor of your mother’s birthday.
23. Skincare products: A skincare package is the best surprise gift for mother on her birthday. Many people forget that their mothers are also women and every woman enjoys pampering her skin.
Buy your mother her favorite skincare products or introduce her to new ones. There are affordable skincare packages that you can purchase and if the price is still high, split the bill between your siblings, relatives, or mom’s friends.
24. Bake a cake: Another heartwarming gift for your mom on her birthday is a cake. Buying cakes from the store is great but taking the time to bake one will make your mother’s heart soar.
What to Do for Your Mom’s Birthday Last-Minute
Due to your busy schedule or the various struggles of life, it is easy for your mother’s birthday to sneak up on you while you are unprepared. No need to worry, here are six great ideas on what to do for your mom’s birthday last-minute.
25. Make a coupon: One of the best surprise gifts for mother on her birthday is a pack of coupons. Design fun coupons for your mom using paper or cardboard and write down chores you know your mother would appreciate you doing.
26. Give her a massage: What to do for your mom’s birthday last-minute? Give her a well-deserved massage. All you need are essential oils and scented candles to build the mood then give your mom a back rub or foot massage, you even do both.
27. Write poetry: Another great way to celebrate your mom’s birthday is with poetry. Write down heartwarming poems expressing your love for your mom or highlighting her best qualities.
28. Indoor games: Whether you are low on cash or stressed about what to do for your mom’s birthday last-minute, an indoor game session is a great way to celebrate. You can play board games, charades, or have a dress-up competition.
29. Go camping: Another great way to celebrate your mom’s birthday is to take her camping. This is also a great bonding experience, so you can either enjoy nature at a campsite and go canoeing or you can camp in your backyard.
30. Style up her kitchen or wardrobe: The last idea on what to do for your mom’s birthday last-minute is to get her something useful in the kitchen or something fashionable. Mothers, no matter their age want something useful, so if she enjoys cooking then buy her a new coffee maker or kitchen tools.
And if she is the fashionable type, then get her something trendy or you can knit her a sweater or scarf. You can also learn to make DIY accessories or purchase them for your local store. These thoughtful gifts will surely make your mother happy but ensure that you do not overspend and split the bills when necessary.
There are numerous surprise birthday ideas for mom at home and this article has given you a great list to choose from. These 30 simple and affordable gestures will surely leave your mom grinning from ear to ear and feeling like the Queen she is.
If you found this article on surprise birthday ideas for mom at home helpful, please show your appreciation by sharing this article with your loved ones as every mother deserves a wonderful birthday surprise. Also, feel free to leave a comment about your thoughts or which idea worked best for you.
Thank you for reading the 30 best surprise birthday ideas for mom at home and I wish you success on your journey to create the best birthday for your mother.